1 hr 20 mins
Make this ahead of time and refrigerate before you need to serve it - the flavour will only improve! FAT REDUCING TIP: Mix together one 400ml can lite coconut milk and one 400ml regular fat coconut milk. This will greatly reduce the fat content without sacrificing the rich coconut flavour. Use one canful of this mixture for this recipe and freeze the rest for later use. Caramelizing the chicken, potatoes and onions gives a wonderful flavour to this curry so don't be tempted to skip these steps!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 tablespoons peanut oil, you'll need 3 half tablespoons separately
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs, all visible fat removed
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice, pat with paper towel to make sure they are dry or they will not b
- 1 medium onion, quartered and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon green curry paste, Thai Kitchen brand is recommended
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated, can be substituted with bottled ginger
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 200 ml light coconut milk, see fat reducing tip in comments above, mixed with:
- 200 ml coconut milk, regular fat
- 1 tablespoon dried cilantro, or 2 tablespoons fresh
- 1 cup frozen peas, to be added at the end of cooking
- 1On medium high, heat 1/2 taplespoon oil in a non stick fry pan - a stove top wok works really well for this - and quickly brown (don't overcook) chicken thighs until golden and caramelized. Remove them to a sprayed casserole (with lid).
- 2In the same pan heat another 1/2 tablespoon oil and brown the diced potatoes until golden and caramelized - they do not have to be cooked through the important thing is that they are nicely browned. Add them to the casserole.
- 3Again - in the same pan - heat the remaining one half tablespoon of oil and caramelize the onion and garlic.
- 4Lower the heat and add the curry paste, brown sugar, ginger, lime juice and fish sauce.
- 5Stir in the coconut milk and cilantro.
- 6Pour over the chicken and potatoes, cover with the lid and bake in a 300 degree F preheated oven for one hour. Check and stir after first 30 minutes.
- 7Remove casserole from oven and stir in the frozen peas - do not cook further, the peas will be nice and tender crisp.
- 8Cool to room temperature and serve on basmati rice the next day.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Thai Casserole Chicken With Peas and Browned Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (187 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 220.7
- Calories from Fat 97
- Total Fat 10.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 57.2 mg
- Sodium 262.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 16.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
green curry paste
light coconut milk