Recipe by Suzin
This is a dish made famous at the Australian Restaurant, Bathers Pavillion The flavors are wonderful and its an elegant summer time favorite
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 red chili peppers
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 ounce palm sugar
- 2 lbs filet of beef
- 24 cherry tomatoes or 6 medium tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 small red onion
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves (cilantro)
- 2⁄3 cup peanuts, roasted
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- To make dressing, peel the garlic. Mince (grind) together the garlic and the chilli peppers. Place in a bowl with the light soy sauce, lime juice, fish sauce and palm sugar. Mix together until the sugar has dissolved.
- To make salad cut the beef into eight portions. Halve the cherry tomatoes or chop the tomatoes. Seed and slice the red bell pepper into thin long strips. Peel and slice the red onion. Place all the salad ingredients except the beef and vegetable oil into a bowl. (Vegetable oil is used for cooking beef only, not part of the dressing).
- Cook the beef in a lightly oiled pan over a high heat. The cooking time depends on how well done you like your beef (allow 2 minutes each side for rare, and 4 minutes each side for medium, but the cooking time will depend on tlle size of the beef pieces). Put the beef in a warm place to rest for 10 minutes.
- To serve, thinly slice the beef and add it to the salad bowl. Ladle over just enough dressing to coat and toss well. Portion onto plates.