Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
From BBQ food for friends, by Jane Lawson and Vanessa Broadfoot - a lovely, fresh salad with a distinctive coriander-chilli flavour. The ingredient list looks long, but it only takes 10 - 15 minutes to put the whole thing together.
- 120 ml lime juice
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons coriander, roots and stems finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 stalks lemongrass, finely chopped (white part only)
- 3 small red chilies, finely sliced
- 3 (200 g) beef eye steak fillets
- 200 g salad leaves, mixed
- 3⁄4 red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 25 g coriander leaves
- 10 g mint leaves, torn
- 375 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cucumber, halved lengthways and thinly sliced on the diagonal
- Mix together lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, garlic, chopped coriander, lemon grass and chilli until sugar has dissolved.
- Chargrill steaks for 4 minutes each side or until medium.
- Let steaks cool, then slice thinly across grain.
- Put salad leaves, onoin, coriander leaves, mint, tomoatoes and cucumber in large bowl, add beef and dressing, toss together and serve immediately.
This is very tasty. I did not cook my steak from scratch, but instead used some leftover New York Strip that was sitting in my fridge. Instead of red chiles, I used a dash of sambal olek and it was delightfully spicy. Overall, very delicious and easy to make! Made for ZWT 3.
Wow! The dressing really makes this salad. It's spicy and so flavorful. I loved it. It did take more than 15 minutes from start to finish with grilling the beef, but still pretty quick and definitely worth every minute.