Recipe by NotQuiteVegetarian
From BBQ food for friends, by Jane Lawson and Vanessa Broadfoot - a lovely, fresh salad with a distinctive coriander-chilli flavour. The ingredient list looks long, but it only takes 10 - 15 minutes to put the whole thing together.
Top Review by ElleFirebrand
This is very tasty. I did not cook my steak from scratch, but instead used some leftover New York Strip that was sitting in my fridge. Instead of red chiles, I used a dash of sambal olek and it was delightfully spicy. Overall, very delicious and easy to make! Made for ZWT 3.
- 120 ml lime juice
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons coriander, roots and stems finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 stalks lemongrass, finely chopped (white part only)
- 3 small red chilies, finely sliced
- 3 (200 g) beef eye steak fillets
- 200 g salad leaves, mixed
- 3⁄4 red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 25 g coriander leaves
- 10 g mint leaves, torn
- 375 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cucumber, halved lengthways and thinly sliced on the diagonal
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, garlic, chopped coriander, lemon grass and chilli until sugar has dissolved.
- Chargrill steaks for 4 minutes each side or until medium.
- Let steaks cool, then slice thinly across grain.
- Put salad leaves, onoin, coriander leaves, mint, tomoatoes and cucumber in large bowl, add beef and dressing, toss together and serve immediately.