Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Simple to make. Authentic Thai. Very delicious!
Make and share this Thai Basil Eggplant recipe from Food.com.
- Peel eggplant if desired (I don't). Cut into irregular shapes but same sizes. That makes them easier to turn and keeps them from sticking to the pan.
- Heat wok over med-high heat. Add oil, peppers and garlic. Cook until garlic becomes lightly browned, 1-2 minutes.
- Add eggplant and stir. Add 1/2 cup water cover and simmer 5 minutes, until eggplant has soaked up most of the water and becomes translucent. You may need to add more water as it cooks.
- Add fish sauce and sugar. Stir gently. Turn off the heat and add the basil stir gently.
- Serve immediately.
- Really good with jasmine rice :O.
If you using regular American eggplant, you should definitely sweat the eggplant slices for about 20-30 minutes before cooking. I doubled this recipe and added pork to it. I should have just doubled the fish sauce instead of going with 3 tablespoons because it was a bit too salty but still very good. Would definitely make this again and just keep it to 1-2 tbsps of fish sauce. Also, the Thai basil is essential or else you won't have the authentic flavor.
Love love love it! Very tasty, very authentic, and so simple.
Loved this. Used a regular eggplant cut in 1 inch cubes (might do smaller next time) and only had jalapenos. Other than that, made as written, definitely Thai basil makes it!