1 hr 30 mins
Member #610488's Note:
This award winning recipe is from the Northern Spy Food Co in New York City, New York. Best made a day or two prior to when you need to serve it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 dried bell peppers (*Aji Panca)
- 10 dried bell peppers (*Cascabel)
- 1 dried pepper (*Habanero)
- 5 lbs ground chuck
- 2 onions, diced
- 4 dried red bell peppers, diced
- 3 dried jalapenos, seeds removed diced
- 2 (16 ounce) bottles beer (a strong American ale or porter)
- 3 cups red wine
- 2 (28 ounce) cans peeled Italian tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 1 tablespoon ground pepper (*Aleppo)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne (more if you would like it spicier)
- 3 teaspoons red chili pepper flakes
- 1 head garlic, roasted
- 1 (8 ounce) can pickled jalapeno peppers, diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch scallion, thinly sliced (garnish)
- 1For the chili powder: Toast the Aji Panca, cascabel, and habanero chilies in a 350 degree F oven until they are fragrant and crunchy. Let them cool, then break them open and remove the seeds. Grind them in a spice grinder and set aside.
- 2For the chili: Brown beef in a large stockpot over medium high heat. Drain off fat and remove beef from pot. Add the onion, red bell pepper, raw jalapenos, and 1/4 cup of the chili powder to the pot. Cook until the vegetables are softened and the chili powder is toasted.
- 3Deglaze with beer and red wine. Reduce by half and then add the tomatoes, the ground Aleppo pepper, cinnamon, cumin, cayenne and red chili flake.
- 4Simmer for at least an hour. Add beef back to the mix. Add roasted garlic, pickled jalapenos, and salt and pepper to taste.
- 5For spicier chili, add more ground Aleppo pepper and cayenne pepper. Garnish with scallions.
- 6*These peppers can be found at Kalustyan’s or at most specialty/gourmet grocery stores.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Texas Style Beer Braised Chili
Serving Size: 1 (912 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 932.2
- Calories from Fat 451
- Total Fat 50.1 g
- Saturated Fat 19.6 g
- Cholesterol 195.6 mg
- Sodium 691.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.6 g
- Sugars 18.1 g
- Protein 56.5 g