6 hrs 30 mins
Peggy Sharif's Note:
PREP: 15 MINUTES; COOK: 6 HRS., 30 MINUTES This recipe is fast and easy--your family will love it. I found it in SOUTHERN LIVING. You can probably substitute your favorite beans as well at the tomatoes. Green chilies are not manditory but it certainly adds a touch of spice. It's a very nice one-dish meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper, divided
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into several pieces
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) roast beef, trimmed (eye-of-round is great)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 (16 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- pickled jalapeno pepper, sliced (optional)
- 1COMBINE: 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, both cans of tomatoes , onion and 1 tablespoon chili powder in a medium bowl.
- 2SPRINKLE roast with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper and brown on all sides in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Place roast in a 5-1/2 quart slow cooker and pour tomato mixture over it. Cover and cook on HIGH for 5 to 6 hours or until meat shreds easily.
- 3REMOVE roast and cut into large chunks; keep warm.
- 4SKIM fat from juices in slow cooker. Mash 1-1/2 cans (about 2-3/4 cups) pinto beans; add to slow cooker. Stir in black beans and remaining 1/2 can pinto beans. Add roast beef chunks into slow cooker and cook on HIGH for about 20 minutes. Place a jalapeno pepper slice on each serving, if desired.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Texas Pot Roast
Serving Size: 1 (538 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 705.7
- Calories from Fat 197
- Total Fat 21.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 134.1 mg
- Sodium 1039.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.8 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 69.8 g