Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A Texas twist on regular picadillo courtesy of Texas Highways magazine
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon bacon drippings or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 cup pecans, chopped
- corn chips or tostados
- Brown onions in the fat, taking care not to scorch them.
- Add beef and brown, stirring to break up.
- Drain off drippings.
- Add garlic, cloves, cinnamon, tomatoes, and sugar.
- Add raisins and cumin; simmer, covered, 20 minutes.
- Add pecans and simmer 10 more minutes.
- Salt to taste.
- Serve hot in a chafing dish with corn chips.