Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Taken from the "Heart Heathy" cookbook, a lighter version of an old favorite.
- 4 (8 inch) fat free tortillas
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 3⁄4 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic, minced (fresh or jarred)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 cup chunky salsa, divided
- 1⁄3 cup green onion, sliced
- 1 cup fat-free refried beans (canned)
- 1 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat sour cream
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place tortillas on baking sheet; coat both sides with cooking spray. bake 5 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp. Remove; set aside.
- Coat large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add bell pepper, cook and stir 4 minutes. Add chicken, garlic, chili powder and cumin; cook and stir 4 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center. Add 1/4 cup salsa and green onions; cook and stir 1 minute. Remove skillet from heat; set aside.
- Combine refried beans and remaining 1/4 cup salsa in a microwavable bowl. Cook uncovered at high 1 1/2 minutes or until beans are heated through.
- Spread bean mixture evenly over tortillas. Spoon chicken mixture and tomato over bean mixture. Garnish with sour cream and add shredded lettuce if you desire.
Full marks even though I used ground beef style veggie crumbles to make these vegetarian, which I'm trying to do more often these days. I've always loved Mexican foods and this is a great way to get that TexMex flavor without the all of that attending fat. How can you bet a top notch yum factor that is still healthy eating!
This was really yummy! I used a corn tortilla & baked it for 400 for 10 minutes till it was nice & crispy. I only made one tostada (for me!) & used 2 tbsp salsa in the meat and 1 tbsp for the beans. I didn't use any tomato or green pepper-didn't have any! I added a little reduced fat mexican cheese & a little more of the seasonings-personal taste! Thank u for sharing this; will make again!