Al pastor, meaning literally "shepherd style," is a traditional way to prepare pork, lamb, and goat meat that originated in northern Mexico. Historically, pigs and goats were slow-roasted whole over a mesquite fire, but over time preparation methods evolved. In Mexico city there are taquerias dedicated mostly or even exclusively to tacos al Pastor. Tacos al Pastor are made from pork meat that has been marinated in a secret recipe and then cooked in a rotisserie with pineapple on top. Similar to the roast lamb from Greek delis, taquerias stack the marinated pork al pastor into a large cylindrical heap and cook it on a vertical spit. Be bold with the spice, remembering that this recipe is TexMex. I haven't tried this myself, just thought it would make a good contribution to Recipezaar. Marinating time not included in preparation time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules, (more to taste)
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon guajillo chili powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups fresh orange juice
- 2 lbs boneless pork loin, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons achiote paste (rehydrate peppers to soft, peel, seed and mash or puree)
- 1/2 pineapple, peeled,cored,cut into long,thick strips
- 12 corn tortillas, warmed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- picante sauce, for garnish
- 1In a medium bowl, combine the garlic, vinegar, oregano, guajillo chile powder, black pepper, cumin, salt, orange juice and achiote paste.
- 2Add the pork slices and turn to coat both sides.
- 3Marinate at least 1 hour, but not more than 3 hours.
- 4Heat the grill.
- 5Place the meat over a hot fire and cook, turning once and basting with any leftover marinade during cooking, until crisp.
- 6At the same time, grill the pineapple strips turning as needed until lightly browned.
- 7Both the pork and pineapple should take no longer than about 5 minutes.
- 8To assemble; chop the grilled pork into 1/4 inch pieces.
- 9Cut the pineapple into 1/2 inch pieces.
- 10Place the pork on the warmed tortillas and top with the onion, cilantro and pineapple pieces.
- 11Serve the Picante Sauce on the side.
Browse Our Top Pineapple Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tex Mex Tacos Al Pastor
Serving Size: 1 (392 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 475.5
- Calories from Fat 186
- Total Fat 20.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 95.2 mg
- Sodium 106.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 12.0 g
- Protein 33.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: