Recipe by JanuaryBride
This is supposedly the ultimate waistline-slimming meal due to the combo of the squash and pine nuts. What's more? It supplies nearly four servings of veggies. Recipe from Prevention magazine 10/2008. Feel free to make this recipe vegan by using a vegan cheese or leaving off the cheese altogether!
Top Review by Bugeah
This was great! I did add some onions, salsa, and cilantro, which I think made it extra tasty. The kids weren't thrilled about it but they ate it anyway. I will definitely make this again for myself.
- 2 medium acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 6 ounces tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (may sub Vegan cheese for a great Vegan meal)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Brush cut sides and cavity of squash with oil. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp of the pepper. Place cut side down on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 30-40 minutes until tender (don't pierce it with a fork though). Turn cut side up.
- Mix beans, nuts, tomatoes, scallions, cumin and remaining 1/4 tsp pepper in a medum bowl.
- Spoon a heaping 1/2 cup of bean mixture into each squash half, pressing down gently to get all the filling inches Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake 10-15 minutes, until cheese is melted and golden.