1/2 Photos of Tex-Mex Stuffed Acorn Squash
This is supposedly the ultimate waistline-slimming meal due to the combo of the squash and pine nuts. What's more? It supplies nearly four servings of veggies. Recipe from Prevention magazine 10/2008. Feel free to make this recipe vegan by using a vegan cheese or leaving off the cheese altogether!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 6 ounces tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (may sub Vegan cheese for a great Vegan meal)
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- 2Brush cut sides and cavity of squash with oil. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp of the pepper. Place cut side down on prepared baking sheet.
- 3Bake 30-40 minutes until tender (don't pierce it with a fork though). Turn cut side up.
- 4Mix beans, nuts, tomatoes, scallions, cumin and remaining 1/4 tsp pepper in a medum bowl.
- 5Spoon a heaping 1/2 cup of bean mixture into each squash half, pressing down gently to get all the filling inches Sprinkle with cheese.
- 6Bake 10-15 minutes, until cheese is melted and golden.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tex-Mex Stuffed Acorn Squash
Serving Size: 1 (342 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 341.8
- Calories from Fat 168
- Total Fat 18.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 12.5 mg
- Sodium 87.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 11.9 g