Recipe by Princess Pea
These taste wonderful and are DH approved. You are going to love this! I use chicken andouille sausage in this recipe, but chorizo sausage or spicy Italian would work as well.! It is very easy to put together, too. This is not overly spicy as written. You can increase the heat by using more jalapeno, hot salsa and spicy sausage. This recipe is adapted from one published in Woman's Day magazine. I used purchased salsa "medium", and homemade guacamole, Wholly Guacamole. YUMMO!
- 2 links andouille chicken sausage, removed from casings and cut into small chunks (such as Amy's brand)
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaf
- 2 large scallions, cut in 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons minced canned jalapeno peppers
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 6 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 6 slices monterey jack pepper cheese
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 3⁄4 cup guacamole
- 3⁄4 cup salsa
Directions See How It's Made
- Put sausage chunks, cilantro, scallons, jalapeno, garlic, cumin and salt into bowl of a food processor.
- Pulse until very finely chopped and blended.
- Scrape into a large bowl;.
- Add beef and gently mix to combine.
- Shape into 6 oval burgers, about 5 inches long and 3/4 inches thick.
- Heat outdoor grill.
- Stack tortillas and wrap in foil.
- Put tortillas on grill to warm while burgers cook.
- Coat burgers with nonstick spray.
- Grill burgers turning once for 8-12 minutes, until internal temperature of 160 degrees is reached.
- Top burgers with cheese.
- Cover grill until cheese melts, about 30-45 seconds.
- Unwrap tortillas.
- Place a lettuce leaf toward one end of each tortilla, lining up edges.
- Top with a burger.
- Spoon on 2 T. guacamole.
- Then spoon on 2 T. salsa.
- Fold opposite end of tortilla up and over burger and toppings, then fold in sides.
- Sit back and collect the compliments.