Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Really easy recipe with excellent results. Even if you don't "like" stew, you'll like this one!
- 2 lbs beef chuck, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 2 cups red wine
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 slices bacon, cut into lardons
- 4 stems fresh rosemary
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 bay leaves
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Marinate the beef in the red wine, vinegar, carrots and 1/2 of the onions for 6 hours or overnight. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Remove the beef from the marinade (reserving the marinade) and dry gently with paper towels. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a heavy Dutch oven over medium heat and cook the bacon lardons until crisp. Remove the bacon and set aside, reserving the fat. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the bacon fat in the Dutch oven and brown the beef on all sides. Once the beef is browned, add in the reserved marinade, bacon lardons, the remaining onions, rosemary, thyme, garlic and bay leaves. Add 2 cups water and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then cover tightly and cook in the oven for 3 to 4 hours. Check every hour and add a little more water if needed. Remove the herbs and serve.