Recipe by x_Gaz
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
Made this recipe for brunch today from the Vegan with a Vengeance cookbook. We liked it and thought the flavor was good. We had a little difficulty with the patties holding together but it was no big deal. Takes awhile to make, but the prep is quite minimal.
- 1 lb tempeh, crmbled into bite-sized pieces
- 4 teaspoons tamari or 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 cup cooked white beans
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 dash salt
- 3 dashes black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- place the tempeh in a saucepan and just barely cover it with water (it's okay, even preferable, if some of the tempeh is peeking out of the water). Add 1 teaspoons of the tamari, cover and bring to a boil. simmer for about 15 minute or until most of the water is absorbed. drain any remaining water and transfer the tempeh to a large bowl. add the white beans, give a quick stir, and set aside. this will heat the beans just a bit for easier mashing and cool the tempeh down just a bit for easier handling.
- give the saucepan a quick rinse and dry. saute the garlic and fennel seed in 1 tbs. olive oil over low heat, just until fragrant (about 1 min.). Add the remainder of the spices and stir constantly for 30 seconds. add to the tempeh mixture along with the tomato paste and remaining tbs. of tamari.
- mash everything together with a potato masher or a fork, until it's just a bit chunky and there are no whole beans left (you don't want it pureed, you should still be able to see the beans). add the bread crumbs and combine well with a fork. taste for sat and spices and adjust to your liking. let sit for about 15 minutes to let the flavors meld.
- form into patties, using 3 tbs. worth of the mix. heat the remaining 2 tbs. of olive oil over med. heat. cook the patties until brown, about 3 minute each side. you may need to add a little more oil when you flip them.