Recipe by Angela Sara
This is a Welsh recipe that I haven't tried yet. I'm trying to collect as many Welsh recipes as I can and where better than to share them here! My Mamgu (Grandmother) was a great baker but she kept all of her recipes in her head and didn't write anything down! She didn't own a scales either but managed to get the proportions just right!! I vaguely remember this one, but the weights may not be spot on!
- 1⁄2 lb flour
- 4 ounces butter
- 4 ounces sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 ounces mixed dried fruit
- 1 teaspoon dried ginger
- 1 tablespoon milk, about
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Rub the butter into the flour and add the sugar, cinnamon, dried fruit and ginger.
- Add the milk to bring it all to a soft, but not liquidy, consistency.
- Quickly mix the vinegar and bicarbonate of soda and pour into the mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Cover and leave in the fridge overnight.
- Bake the next day in a greased and lined tin for 60- 90 minutes in a moderate oven.