Prep 15 mins
Cook 11 mins
This is quick, and delicious! It's also low fat, and healthy. Serve it with a dipping sauce, such as Benihana's, or your favorite.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons raw brown rice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 earl grey tea bags (remove tea and discard bags)
- Stack 3 15 inch squares of heavy duty foil.
- Roll the edges over until they fit your Dutch oven.
- Use ONLY very heavy cast iron Dutch oven.
- Aluminum pots will melt on your stove.
- Put foil in bottom of pot and make a small depression in the middle to hold the spices.
- Sprinkle the ingredients in the pot.
- Follow this order: first the rice, next sugar, then cloves, then tea.
- Cover tightly, then turn on the fire at the maximum setting.
- When the tea mix starts to smoke, put chicken breasts in a steam basket (like you use to steam broccoli) put the basket in the pot, then cover.
- Cook on highest heat for 10 or 11 minutes, or until brown and done.
- Plate up and serve.
- Be sure to move the Dutch oven with the mixture in it outside until you get a chance to wash it.
- Otherwise, it will smell up your whole house.
I've used my stovetop smoker about 3 or 4 times a month for 7 years. I thought it would be fun to try tea/rice instead of wood chips (I did line the bottom with foil and layered the ingredients as directed). Followed cooking directions. Result: Acrid, nasty, and tasted like ashes; nothing like what I get using wood chips.