Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
Growing up Mom always (and still does) served these hot out of the oven with our beef stew. We slathered them with lots of butter & molasses and now the two recipes just go together! We can't have beef stew without them now! I cut them fairly thick for a nice fluffy biscuit. Also good with butter & strawberry jam!
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- With pastry blender cut in butter.
- Add milk and mix well to form dough.
- Knead just a few times until smooth on a floured surface.
- DO NOT overwork, handle as little as possible.
- Roll to desired thickness and cut with a floured cutter or bottom of drinking glass.
- (I tend to cut them fairly thick so I never get the maximum 14 biscuits, more like 10-12!).
- Bake at 375 for 12-13 minutes.
- (I find it only takes about 10 minutes in my particular oven).
These were delicious,I put in less sugar and used them for dinner with chili and strawberry shortcake.
just like the ones my mom makes! I dust them with sugar before baking, and I serve them with stew. Yummy!
These biscuits rose up nice and fluffy, and were very easy to make. I have saved the recipe to my permanent collection, but I will cut down the sugar to at least half next time. They are quite sweet for serving along side a savoury stew, but fit the bill for serving with jam. I recommend the recipe, with adjustments to the sugar when necessary.