Recipe by Rhonda *J*
Growing up Mom always (and still does) served these hot out of the oven with our beef stew. We slathered them with lots of butter & molasses and now the two recipes just go together! We can't have beef stew without them now! I cut them fairly thick for a nice fluffy biscuit. Also good with butter & strawberry jam!
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2⁄3 cup butter (I usually just use Imperial Margarine and make sure it is really cold)
- 2⁄3 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- With pastry blender cut in butter.
- Add milk and mix well to form dough.
- Knead just a few times until smooth on a floured surface.
- DO NOT overwork, handle as little as possible.
- Roll to desired thickness and cut with a floured cutter or bottom of drinking glass.
- (I tend to cut them fairly thick so I never get the maximum 14 biscuits, more like 10-12!).
- Bake at 375 for 12-13 minutes.
- (I find it only takes about 10 minutes in my particular oven).