Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I've been making this for years and love it. The original recipe called for 1-2 tsp of salt, which I found to be too much. A full teaspoon of the chili paste (I use Lan Chi Chili Paste With Garlic from my local Whole Foods but you might be able to get it at a local Asian/Chinese grocery) is pretty hot but as I like it. Adjust as you see fit. Different brands will have different heat. I've served this on cucumber slices, in endive leaves, and molded in a ring on a plate. Sometimes I garnish with black and/or white sesame seeds.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs yellowfin tuna fillets
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 bunch scallion, greens only, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vietnamese chili paste with garlic
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Dice the tuna into pieces the size of a raisin.
- Combine the diced tuna and all other ingredients in a large bowl. Cover and chill for no longer than an hour before serving.