Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
Another one from The Philadelphia Orchestra Cook Book. This would probably work well with boneless chicken breasts also.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 8 -12 chicken pieces (legs or thighs or breasts)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste (puree)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried tarragon
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat butter in large fry pan over medium high heat.
- Brown chicken pieces on all sides and remove from pan and keep warm.
- Add onion and garlic to pan and cook until tender.
- Stir in tomato paste and flour.
- Slowly add chicken stock and stir. Bring to a boil while stirring until mixture thickens.
- Return chicken to pan.
- Add salt, pepper and tarragon.
- Cover and simmer gently 45 minutes.
- Remove chicken to warm platter.
- Gradually add sour cream to sauce and heat gently.
- Pour sauce over chicken and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Serve with rice.
Really tasty and flavor packed!! Loved the recipe, easy to prepare. Only changes I made was instead of the tomato paste (I was out) I put in some chopped tomatoes (1/2 cup)...and I used half the amount of sour cream (again all I had on hand) but did not miss the rest. Will keep the recipe and use again.
Really good and easy too. I used boneless chicken breasts, sliced them into tenders, pounded them a little bit and the other change I made was to use some cayenne pepper in the finished sauce. I didn't have to simmer the sauce for 45 min. as recipe states, chicken was done after 10 minutes and I liked the texture of the sauce. Served with wild rice and fresh veggie. Very good!!
Wonderfull flavour... I used boneless breasts and veggie stock - my only change...I will keep and share this recipe - thank you for sharing!!