Prep 10 mins
Cook 24 hrs
I've making this for a long time, and eating it for even longer. This is great on a hot summer day.
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 large cucumbers
- Mix first 4 ingredients in water until sugar dissolves.
- Peel and slice cucumbers into almost paper thin slices.
- In a stainless steel or ceramic bowl, salt cucumber slices well and let stand for 30 minutes. This will allow the cucumbers to release some of their liquid and results in less bitter cucumbers. Rinse and drain well.
- Put cucumber slices into glass bowl or jar.
- Pour sugar/vinegar mixture over cucumber slices.
- Let cucumbers marinate in jar for at least 24 hours.
- Can add more sugar to your tastes.
- This is really good with onion slices added too.
Loved this! Sweet and tangy and I can't wait for the home-grown cukes to come in! It is so similar to refrigerator pickles, quick and easy.
Reviewed for PAC (Fall 2007) -- To me this is THE classic summer cucumber salad. My mother used to make this (with plain ol' white distilled vinegar, instead of cider vinegar) and I loved it. I'd stopped making this way years ago, and had dressed mine up (by adding sweet onions and/or mint and or a number of other add-ins). It was nice to go back to basics and just enjoy the sweet/sour impact of this salad. I did cut back on the sugar; 1/2 cup is too much for me, so I used between 1/4 and 1/3 of a cup. Thanks for posting this!