1/1 Photo of Tandoori Chicken
Tandoori Chicken- Indian style. Use gluten-free spices and yogurt to make this dish suitable for a gluten-free diet. Chicken needs 4 to 6 hours rest time- cooking and prep time does not include the resting time required
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 chicken pieces, skinned (about 225 grams or 8 oz each)
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 85 g natural yogurt, strained (3oz) or 85 g thick Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons double cream
- 1 tablespoon chickpea flour (also known as besan or gram flour)
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (not Mexican style chili powder)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- vegetable oil, for brushing
- 3 tablespoons melted butter or 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1Make 2-3 small incisions into each chicken piece and place in a large non-metallic bowl.
- 2Rub in the lemon juice and salt. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, put the yogurt in a seperate bowl and add the cream and chickpea flour. Beat with a fork until well blended and smooth.
- 4Add all remaining ingredients - except for the oil and butter. Mix throughly.
- 5Pour the mixture over the chicken and rub in well.
- 6Cover and refrigerate for 4-6 hours or overnight. Return to room temperature before cooking.
- 7Preheat overhead grill to high. Line a grill pan with foil and brush the rack with oil.
- 8Using tongs, lift the chicken pieces out of the marinade and put on the prepared rack. Reserve the remaining marinade.
- 9Cook the chicken under preheat grill for 4 minutes, then turn over and cook for a further 4 minutes.
- 10Baste the chicken generously with the reserved marinade. Cook for a further 2 minutes on each side.
- 11Brush the chicken pieces with the melted butter and cook for 5-6 minutes, or until charredin patches.
- 12Turn the chicken over and baste with the remaining marinade.
- 13Cook for a furterh 5-6 minutes, or until charred as before. The chicken is cooked when the juices run clear when a skewer is inserted into the thickest part of the meat.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tandoori Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (58 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 146.7
- Calories from Fat 124
- Total Fat 13.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 41.0 mg
- Sodium 388.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 1.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: