Prep 3 hrs
Cook 30 mins
serve with naan and mint chutney
- 800 g skinless chicken (whole)
- 2 teaspoons kashmiri chili powder
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons ginger paste
- 2 tablespoons garlic paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (to baste )
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chat masala
- 1 cup onion rings, and
- lemon wedge, to garnish
- Make incisions with a sharp knife on the chicken breast, legs and thighs.
- Apply a mixture one teaspoon Kashmiri red chilli powder, one tablespoon lemon juice and salt over the chicken and set aside for half an hour.
- For the marinade, tie up yogurt in a piece of muslin and hang over a bowl for fifteen to twenty minutes. Remove the thick yogurt into a bowl. Add the remaining Kashmiri red chilli powder, salt, ginger paste, garlic paste, remaining lemon juice, garam masala powder and two tablespoons olive oil.
- Rub this mixture over the chicken and marinate for three to four hours in a refrigerator.
- Thread the chicken onto a skewer and cook in a moderately hot tandoor or in a preheated oven at 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6 for ten to twelve minutes, or until almost done. Baste chicken with a little oil and cook for another four minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Sprinkle chaat masala powder and serve with onion rings and lemon wedges.