Recipe by mariposa13
Top Review by anme
5 stars for originality and taste! But this was my first time making tamales so I dont think they came out as good as they could have. I skipped the heavy cream on the cream sauce and used low fat sour cream with low fat cool whip and it turned out quite tasty. I think next time I may have to use more hasa harina, or cut back on the liquid because it seemed a bit too moist.... but it also could just be I am not an avid tammale maker. Very good, and exteremly diffrent dessert.
- 8 dry corn husks
Sweet Pink Tamale Dough
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon maple syrup or 1⁄2 tablespoon molasses
- 3⁄4 cup strained strawberry puree
- 1 cup white corn masa harina
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 (8 ounce) can strawberry pie filling or 1 (8 ounce) canfresh sliced strawberries
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Place corn husks in a large bowl with warm water. If the husks float up, place a smaller bowl of water on top of them to hold them down in the water.
- Let soak at least 30 minutes.
- Tamale dough: Bring water, sugar, syrup and puree to boil over medium high heat.
- Reduce heat; stir in Masa Harina.
- Simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Mixture should roll into a ball without sticking to your fingers.
- Spread pink dough onto husks, which have been softened in hot water.
- Leave a margin at each side.
- Place 1 to 2 teaspoons of strawberry pie filling in a line through middle of dough.
- Fold in both sides and press seam together, making sure strawberry filling stays completely inside the dough.
- Leave ends open.
- Roll husk and tie ends tightly.
- Steam for 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours depending on thickness.
- Tamales will come easily off the husk and have a spongy texture when cooked.
- Cream Sauce: Whip cream.
- Slowly add sour cream and continue whipping until stiff peak stage.
- Add remaining ingredients. Chill until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, dollop cream sauce on cooled sweet tamales.
- Top with strawberries.