Prep 2 hrs
Cook 3 hrs
- 5 cups shredded chicken wings
- 1 (8 ounce) packagedried corn husks
- 2⁄3 cup lard
- 4 cups masa harina flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup lard
- Sort corn husks, setting aside any torn ones.
- Soak intact husks in warm water for atleast 1 hour or until softened and easy to fold.
- Beat 2/3 cup lard in a large mixer bowl until creamy.
- Combine mass harina and salt in a medium bowl.
- Alternately, add mass harina mixture and broth to lard, mixing well after each addition.
- Gradually, add melted lard and mix until you get the consistency of thick cake batter.
- Spread 1/4 cup masa to form a square in the centre of one husk.
- Place about 1/4 cup meat filling in the center of a masa square.
- Fold right then left edge of husk over masa.
- Fold up bottom edge.
- Repeat with rest of the ingredients.
- Place vegetable steamer in pot with lid; add water just below steamer.
- Arrange tamales upright in steamer rack.
- Cover top of tamales with reserved dry husks and a damp towel.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Steam, adding water as needed for 2-2 1/2 hours or until masa pulls away from husks.