Recipe by belkathy
A great way for Tex-Mex fans to start the day, or finish it. These are small and cook quickly. Serve 3 per person. Try spooning some meaty homemade chili on top.
Top Review by Planner
WONDERFUL!!!! The only substitute I made was black beans for the black olives and I used whole wheat flour. I ate the first 2 plain and then had then next 1 1/2 with cheddar. They were scrumptious. Fantastic recipe :)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 8 ounces canned corn, drained
- 12 black olives, sliced
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1 tomatoes, chopped (optional)
- green onion, chopped (optional)
- salsa (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat a griddle.
- Put cornmeal in a bowl, and add the boiling water.
- Stir well and allow to cool.
- Add the wet ingredients: milk, oil, and egg; stir.
- Sift in the dry ingredients: flour, cumin, salt, chili powder, baking powder.
- Add corn and olives; stir.
- Each pancake will be made from about 4 tablespoons of batter.
- Spoon onto the griddle and let cook, flipping once. Should be nice and golden brown on both sides.
- Top with your choice(s) from the tomato, cheddar, green onions, salsa and sour cream.