Moroccan Chicken with lemons and three types of olives. If you like sour/lemon flavours then this dish will be suitable for you. This dish is very easy and preparation time is only 10 mins and 30 mins to marinate. The recipe requires 1 chicken cut into serving pieces but I used 8 chicken pieces (thighs & drumsticks) with skin off. I don't normally have fresh coriander regularly available but I used 1 teaspoon of coriander powdered. It comes from a book called 'The Olive Oil Cookbook' by Marlena Spieler.
- 1 chicken, cut into serving pieces (thighs or drumsticks) or 8 chicken pieces (thighs or drumsticks)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon turmeric
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- fresh coriander, Several handfuls, chopped
- 2 lemons, juice of
- black pepper, ground (to taste)
- cayenne pepper, ground (to taste)
- 3 -5 tablespoons flour
- 4 tomatoes, chopped (either ripe or canned)
- 10 -15 green olives (See note below) or 10 -15 black olives, drained (See note below)
- 1 lemon, cut into 6 wedges
- 50 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 250 ml chicken stock
- 1 lemon, juice of, to taste
- Combine the chicken with cumin, paprika, ginger, turmeric, garlic, coriander, lemon juice and peppers, and place in a baking dish in a single layer.
- Leave to marinate for 30 mins, then add the flour, and toss together to cost well.
- Heat the oven to 160oC/325oF/ Gas Mark 3. Add the chopped tomatoes, olives, lemon wedges, olive oil and stock to the dish.
- Bake uncovered for about an hour or until the chick is tender and a delicious sauce has formed.
- Note on olives: You need to have 10-15 each of three types in total you can choose green olives of your choice, black olives, cracked olives, oil-cured olives, purplish-red olives, Kalamata, pimiento-stuffed green olives, etc.