Moroccan Spiced Preserved Lemons
photo by FDADELKARIM
- Ready In:
8 preserved lemons
- 2 quarts mason jars (glass jars are better)
- 8 unwaxed lemons
- 1⁄3 cup sea salt, fine grain
- 2 cups unsweetened lemon juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 -4 whole cloves
- 5 coriander seeds
- 4 black peppercorns
- Pour the lemon juice in a large glass jar then add the spices & 1 tablespoon of sea salt.
- Slice the lemon 5 times, from top to bottom, leaving 1/2 inch at both ends. Squeeze open each slit & add a generous amount of sea salt into each opening. Gently reshape the fruit when you are done. Repeat for each lemon.
- Pack the lemons into the jar, pressing them down to release their juices & to make room for the remaining lemons. Add any remaining salt to the jar. Cover the lemons the rest of the way with water then seal with a lid, leaving some air space at the top.
- Let ripen for at least 30 days in a warm place. Shake the jar a couple times a week to distribute the salt & spices.
- Preserved lemons do not need to be refrigerated & will keep up to a year. The pickling juice may be used 2 or 3 times over a year's time, simply add any unused rinds to the jar after sprinkling with salt.
- To use: Rinse with running water then remove & disregard the pulp (optional, my husband likes the pulp).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Made & reviewed for Ramadan Tag in the NA*ME Forum. I am rating this 5* now (without tasting in 30 days) as this is almost identical to my recipe with the exception of the cinnamon stick which I'm sure will only improve it :) I can't wait to try these at the end of the month! Great recipe, clear instructions - thanks Nasseh for a winning recipe!
Wowee! This is one of the most exciting recipes to hit Zaar! Made as directed, and found it sooo very easy to make. I used a high quality Celtic Sea Salt purchased from Royal River Health Foods in Freeport, Maine. I absolutely cannot wait to start using this in Moraccan dishes! Thanks, Nasseh! Made for N*A*M*E tag.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Follower of Jesus: I have a strong faith in God & his love for all of us. He is the first & last in my life and it is my desire to tell others of His greatest gift to us...His Son. Explorer: I love to learn about new cultures & try new foods. While in Morocco I learned to appreciate the use of spices. Wife: I'm married to my best friend. Sister: I am the oldest of six children. Mother: My son lives in CA while my daughter lives close to me. Grandmother: My beautiful granddaughter has stolen my heart.