Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
A sweet fruit served with bowls of rice. You eat the banana chunks and sip the milk. This is served by roadside vendors and push carts. Adapted for use in U.S. This is two recipes in one.
- 4 firm bananas, peeled, cut in bite size chunks
- 4 (15 ounce) cans coconut milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- In medium stockpot add bananas, coconut milk, ginger, five spice and powdered sugar.
- Simmer, turning bananas gently. Cook 15 minutes.
- Note: After the above is cooked, for a wonderful sauce over gingerbread or vanilla ice cream, do the following:
- Taiwan Sweet Sauce.
- 2 tsps cornstarch in 1/2 cup cold water, dissolve. Mash the bananas. Add the cornstarch mixture to the coconut milk and mashed bananas. Stir contantly so it will not burn. Stir until thick and glossy. Chill. Spoon over dessert.