Recipe by litldarlin
First you make a traditional apple pie filling and then things get more interesting. Half the apple mixture is spooned into a deep-dish pie shell and layered with caramels and a taffy mixture. And then more apples, caramels and taffy go in. And then it’s baked and served warm.
- 1 (9 inch) double crust pie crusts
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups apples, sliced thin
- 2⁄3 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 20 caramels, halved
- 2 tablespoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- To Make Taffy:
- In a small bowl combine brown sugar, melted butter or margarine, and 1/3 cup flour.
- Mix well and set aside.
- To Make Apple Filling:
- Place apples in a large bowl.
- Add white sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, cinnamon, and lemon juice.
- Toss until all ingredients are mixed well and apples are thoroughly coated.
- Spoon half of apple filling into pastry-lined deep-dish pan.
- Top with half of caramels and half of taffy mixture.
- Repeat process with remaining apple filling, caramels and taffy mixture.
- Place top pastry over filling and seal well.
- This is very important, if edges are not sealed, caramel will leak out all over.
- Cut steam vents and brush top crust with milk or light cream.
- Cover pie with foil and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil from pie and bake for another 20 to 25 minutes, until crust is golden.
- Serve warm.