Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I gave up beef over a year ago due to poor digestion and I'm allergic to milk, so things like Taco Soup were a thing of the past until I discovered canned mock ground beef called "Vege-Burger" and can thus enjoy meals like this one again which comes very close to it's original.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (19 ounce) canvege-burger vegetarian ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 2 (16 ounce) cans red kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) canschopped green chilies, drained
- 3 tablespoons chopped jalapeno peppers (add only if you like extra heat)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups corn chips (or however many you want)
- In a stock pot, Saute vege-burger crumbles in oil with onion and garlic until onion is translucent and soft.
- Add taco seasoning mix and stir well. (watch the vege-burger crumbles, they have a tendency to stick to the bottom of pot).
- Add Tomato and next nine ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Laddle soup into bowls, top with cilantro serve with corn chips. (We like to use the chips as a "spoon" for the soup).