Recipe by Dib's
This recipe was posted per a recipe request. This Taco Sauce will be on the thin side. Canning instructions follow.
Top Review by Neeney
I'm ashamed to admit, that I just LOVE Taco Bell's taco sauce! I like the mild and the hot! Well, I made this recipe and couldn't believe how good it was. I don't like the store bought brands, have tried every one. Yet another "DiB's" recipe that is tried and true, AND VERY MUCH LOVED! I quadrupled the recipe the 2nd time and canned into pint size jars. Janine in Illinois
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced dried onion
- 2 tablespoons canned jalapeno slices
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the tomato paste with the water in a large stainless or enamel saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir until smooth.
- Add the cayenne, chili powder, salt, cornstarch, and vinegar.
- In a food processor puree the onion and jalapeno until smooth.
- Add to tomato water mixture and bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Once you have reached the hard boil stage cook for 3 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Let stand to cool.
- Place in a tightly sealed container and place in the fridge.
- This will keep up to 2 months.
- If you wish to can this product you pour the hot liquid into clean, sterile hot half pint jars and process in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes.