Recipe by WI Cheesehead
From Family Fun. I adapted it a bit. Great for lunch boxes. Change the amount of seasoning based on your or your kids' preference. I also have a Chili Powder recipe that could be used in place of the storebought package. UPDATE: We finally tried this. These would be great for lunchboxes. Also great for getting extras, like onions, pepper, etc. in the kids. I had 20 oz. meat, added a little dried minced onion and bell pepper and used just under 1/2 C per roll. It ended up making 9 rolls. All but 1 child liked it (my picky one).
Top Review by Jean R
Easy, tasty dish for a hot summer's evening. I didn't bother to put the meat mixute in the blender so my roll ups came out more like fat burritos. THAT didn't matter to my family, they gobbled them right up. I added two tablespoons of cilantro to the salsa. I also gave everyone a ramekin of salsa on their plate to dip the roll up in as they were eating. Thanks for posting!
- 1 lb lean ground turkey or 1 lb lean ground beef
- 0.5 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup corn
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 6 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 3⁄4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese or 3⁄4 cup Mexican blend cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Crumble the ground beef into a large skillet and brown over medium-high heat.
- When the meat is cooked (about 10 minutes), drain the fat.
- Add the taco seasoning, water, and corn; stir and simmer the mixture for 3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the refried beans.
- To give the filling a smooth consistency, pour the beef mixture into a blender or food processor. With 4 or 5 short pulses, eliminate any large chunks from the mix.
- For each wrap, heat a tortilla in the microwave for 10 seconds.
- Spread about 1/2 cup of the beef mixture evenly over it, then top with a layer of salsa and cheese. Roll it up and tuck in the ends.
- Tightly cover each sandwich in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Cut in half at serving time. Or cut into 1 inch slices for appetizers.