Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
My son and I started to "mess around" in the kitchen and we came up with this. (No more Taco Bell). Cook time includes browning of ground beef.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 (8 ounce) packageshredded Mexican blend cheese (divided)
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies (drained)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package corn muffin mix
- cooking spray
- Mix corn muffin mix as directed on package.
- Spread batter into a sprayed 12-inch pizza pan.
- Bake at 400°F for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Brown meat and drain.
- Add seasoning package, water, and chilies.
- Simmer until water is absorbed.
- Sprinkle one cup of cheese over crust.
- Top with meat mixture.
- Sprinkle with crushed red peppers and oregano.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melted.
- If desired you can also serve with lettuce, sour cream, and diced tomatoes.
This was very good. I topped the pizza with sour cream, lettuce, black olives and tomatoes. My guests suggested that a light sprinkling of crushed corn chips would be good, since the crust is so soft. Thank you!
I had unexpected company tonight (with several kids). As it was a very casual night, this taco pizza really fit the bill. I prepared 2 pans of the recipe, and omitted the green chilies and seasoning from one in order to keep the flavor in the kid-friendly range. I used Jiffy brand cornbread mix, and really liked the contrast of the slightly sweet cornbread with the spice of the taco meat. Everyone devoured both pans. No leftovers! This was very, very easy and will definately be a great work-night dinner.