Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I found this recipe in Quick Cooking magazine. It is quite easy and tasty enough for my toddler son. This can easily be spiced up with more chilies or spicy cheese.
- 1 cup finely crushed cheese crackers
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 lbs)
- 2 ounces monterey jack cheese, cut into six 2 x 1/2 inch sticks
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the cracker crumbs and taco seasoning and set aside.
- Flatten the chicken to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Place a cheese stick and 1 Tbsp of chilies on each piece of chicken.
- Tuck ends of chicken in and roll up, securing with toothpicks.
- Coat chicken with crumb mixture.
- Place in a greased 13x9-in baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove toothpicks and serve.
Nice way to get Mexican theme with a nice presentation! I made these with the beans from "Chris from Kansas". wonderful meal!
Taco Chicken is an elegant and tasty dish. This was my first experience with "flattening" chicken breasts. The first one looked pretty horrible, but after I got the hang of it they turned out nicely. For me, this is a "special occasion" recipe, because I wouldn't go through all that pounding for an everyday dinner. I used recipe #25449 for the Taco Seasoning Mix.
Just a note, since I've made these before I saw the recipe on here. They're pretty tasty and freeze well. I put 4 in the freezer and just grab one and pop it in the oven when the mood strikes.