Recipe by The Spice Guru
My copycat recipe for Taco Bell's seasoned ground beef is a bulk seasoning blend which yields 6 batches of tacos (1 pound ground beef per batch). When ready to use, mix 4 level tablespoons of this mixture with 3/4 cup water (directions below).
- 6 tablespoons masa corn flour
- 6 tablespoons instant onion flakes
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons seasoning salt (Lawry's brand only)
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon powder
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground oregano
Directions See How It's Made
- NOTE: TO PREPARE A SINGLE SERVING OF THIS SEASONING FOR JUST ONE BATCH TACOS, FOLLOW THIS CONVERSION RECIPE (YIELDS 4 LEVEL TABLESPOONS): 1 tablespoon masa corn flour, 1 tablespoon instant onion flakes, 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon paprika, 3/4 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt, 1/2 teaspoon beef bouillon powder, 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon powder, 1/4 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar, 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/8 teaspoon ground oregano. (STEP ONE): COMBINE all ingredients well and store in a dark, cool place, tightly sealed.
- WHEN READY TO USE: Add 3/4 cup cold water and 4 level tablespoons of this seasoning into a plasic resealable container with a tight-fitting lid.
- SHAKE mixture well until dry ingredients are thoroughly dissolved in water.
- BROWN 1 lb ground beef in a skillet over medium-high heat while stirring without overcooking (drain ground beef if necessary).
- POUR shaken mixture into browned ground beef in skillet.
- RAISE heat to high; BOIL mixture for one minute, stirring.
- REDUCE heat to medium; COOK mixture, stirring occasionally, until very little liquid remains and ground beef is moist yet not soggy.
- COVER and reduce heat to medium-low.
- SIMMER for 5-7 minutes to steam and tenderize meat, and for flavors to infuse fully.
- FILL crisped taco shells with seasoned ground beef mixture, adding desired cheese and vegetable fillings; SERVE and enjoy!