Recipe by Member #610488
Copycat of the Santa Fe Gordita.
Top Review by val_428
This recipe is nowhere near the Santa Fe gorditta from Taco Bell. I made it twice because I so wanted to like it. I used store bought chili sauce the first time and then my homemade sauce. Nope. Not even close. The bean salsa is off also. I didn't expect it to be identical to the one TB used to have, but I did expect it to at least remind me of it. It didn't. Also, the recipe is missing (at the time I'm writing this review) the amount of onion in the bean salsa. Very disappointed.
Santa Fe Sauce
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 (10 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 large bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, cooked
- 4 pita bread rounds
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the mayonnaise, the chili sauce, lemon juice, and vinegar. Let this chill for a minimum of 1/2 hour.
- Mix together the drained black beans, drained whole kernel corn, finely diced red bell pepper, finely diced onion, and the finely chopped cilantro. Let this chill for a minimum of 1/2 hour.
- Slice the chicken breasts into thin strips.
- Grill your pita bread in a pan on both sides until the bread is hot and flexible.
- Divide the Santa Fe sauce between each pita round and top with the thin strips of chicken breast.
- Top with the bean salsa and cheese. Serve.