1/1 Photo of Tabouli (Lebanese Bulghur, Parsley, and Mint Salad)
Toby Jermain's Note:
Tabouli is a Lebanese salad and is often served as part of a meza appetizer assortment, as well as on its own. This is my cousin's recipe, and according to her, you NEVER put garlic in tabouli, and there is no place in it for celery, cucumber, or any of the myriad of other ingredients with which some people like to adulterate it "to make it different". I agree with her wholeheartedly. This doesn't need anything else; just season it well with the salt, pepper, lemon, and olive oil.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup medium Bulgar wheat (#2)
- 2 -3 bunches parsley, stemmed and chopped, depending on size
- 1 -2 bunch fresh mint leaves, finely chopped, depending on size, more to taste
- 2 bunches green onions, chopped
- 4 -5 ripe firm tomatoes, partially seeded and chopped
- 3 -5 lemons, juice of, to taste
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1This recipe is a breeze if you have a food processor, a little more work if you don't.
- 2If using a processor, chop parsley and mint together, using a pulsing action, to ensure that you don't end up pureeing them, and remove to a bowl.
- 3Repeat with green onions, and add it bowl.
- 4Chop tomatoes, preferably by hand, into about 1/4" dice, and add to bowl.
- 5If you are making this for company, you might want to chop everything by hand.
- 6It makes a much prettier dish than when made in the processor, but I never bother when it is for personal consumption; I just take a little care when using the processor.
- 7Wash bulghur thoroughly, drain, and soak in fresh hot water for about 1 hour.
- 8Drain and squeeze as dry as possible, and combine with vegetables.
- 9Drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil.
- 10Add salt and pepper to taste, and toss thoroughly.
- 11You can be quite generous with the pepper.
- 12Refrigerate for about an hour, taste, and adjust salt and pepper.
- 13In addition to serving a a salad or part of a meza appetizer assortment, it is also good as dressing on a falafel or lamb sandwich in pita bread.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tabouli (Lebanese Bulghur, Parsley, and Mint Salad)
Serving Size: 1 (148 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 218.3
- Calories from Fat 165
- Total Fat 18.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 14.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 2.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh mint leaves