1/2 Photos of Szechuan-Style Smoked Salmon
This is adapted from a Martin Yan recipe. I'm absolutely in love with it. I have made tea smoked chicken in the past and also loved that. If you enjoy the unique and delicious you must try this.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chinese rice wine
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons sugar or 2 teaspoons Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 1/4 lbs fresh salmon fillets, cut crosswise into 1- inch wide pieces
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1/4 cup oolong tea or 1/4 cup black tea leaves
- 2 whole star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon whole white peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1Combine marinade ingredients (soy, rice wine, ginger, sugar) in a wide bowl.
- 2Add salmon and turn to coat in marinade.
- 3Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- 4Line a stir-fry pan or deep skillet and the inside of pan lid with heavy-duty foil.
- 5Combine smoking mixture (brown sugar, rice, tea leaves, anise, cinnamon, peppercorns) and spread evenly in the bottom of pan.
- 6Set a round cake rack over smoking mixture (Be sure the smoking element does not touch rack).
- 7Remove fish from marinade and place on rack.
- 8Pour marinade into a small saucepan and set aside.
- 9Place pan, uncovered, over high heat.
- 10When mixture begins to smoke, cover pan; reduce heat to medium-low and smoke until salmon turns a rich deep color, about 10 minutes.
- 11Turn off heat; let stand for 5 minutes, undisturbed, or longer before removing lid.
- 12Bring reserved marinade to a boil; add cornstarch solution and cook, stirring, until sauce thickens.
- 13Strain sauce into a bowl, discarding solids.
- 14If you plan to serve the fish hot, serve with the sauce on the side.
- 15Otherwise, serve at room temperature with no sauce.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Szechuan-Style Smoked Salmon
Serving Size: 1 (253 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 363.3
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 73.9 mg
- Sodium 638.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 28.8 g
- Protein 30.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: