Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I love Asian noodle dishes, especially the spicy ones! This one's just hot enough; add more heat if you like. I also like the flavor of both the sesame oil and sesame seeds in this dish, and I toast the seeds until they're nearly brown. This makes a nice and quick side dish for dinner, or a tasty light lunch.
- 1⁄2 lb dried Chinese egg noodles (in a pinch, linguine will work)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted,plus
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1⁄2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon shredded fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon szechuan chili paste
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar or 1 comparable sweetish rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or 2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons minced green onions, some green tops included
- 4 teaspoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Cook the noodles until al dente, then drain and rinse with cold water; drain again and toss with the sesame oil and peanut oil.
- Combine the sauce ingredients and correct seasoning, adding more heat if you wish.
- Toss with the noodles and garnish with green onion and cilantro.
- This is traditionally served cold or at room temperature.
I gave this a 5 * while DH gave it a 3*. I loved all the flavors including the vinegar. I did decrease the vinegar during step #2 and did a taste test and added the rest of the vinegar for the tartness. I love hot and spicy dishes and this didn't disappoint me. DH was surprised that it was cold and not hot. I think that's what disappointed him the most. I should have warned him a head of time. I did use wide rice noodles because that is what I had in the cupboard, so I was on a hunt to use them up when I found this recipe. Thanks for posting. :)
Really yummy and REALLY easy to make! Might try adding chicken to it next time. Reminds me of pad thai
We had this tonight - it was really good!!! We did not have chili paste, so my husband used chili powder in place of it. The flavors were very good. Thank you for sharing!