Prep 30 mins
Cook 7 mins
In '1,000 Vegetarian Recipes' by Carol Gelles
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons mirin or 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 large bunch broccoli
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- In a medium bowl, stir together the water, mirin, soy sauce, hoisin, and cornstarch; set aside.
- Cut the broccoli heads into florets; peel the stems and slice thin; set aside (about 14 cups cut up broccoli).
- In a wok or large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over high heat.
- Add the ginger, garlic, and red pepper flakes; cook, stirring 30 seconds.
- Add the broccoli; cook, stirring, until tender-crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sauce, cook, stirring until broccoli is coated, about 1 minute.
- Add the sesame oil; stir to coat.
- Serve over brown or white rice.