Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Cdn H/H Dec 08
- 18 baby beets (6 each of gold, red and striped)
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- pomegranate seeds
- fresh thyme
- Wash and trim beets (don't dry).
- Wrap each colour of beets in separate foil.
- Sprinkle with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Roast at 450 for 45-60 minutes, then let cool.
- Rub off skins and set aside.
- Make vinaigrette:.
- Toast cumin seeds on medium to high heat until fragrant, then grind half to powder. Set aside remaining half of the roasted seeds.
- Mix together whole cumin seeds, ground cumin, vinegar, lemon juice, shallot, thyme, garlic, salt & pepper. Set aside for 5 minutes then add olive oil.
- Half or quarter beets and arrange in rows on a platter. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and drizle with cumin vinaigrette. Finish with a sprinkling of fresh herbs.
These were delicious! Made for A Taste of Syria in the NA/ME Forum 9/13.
I found some golden beets and they roasted real nice! I enjoyed the dressing too. Thanks!