Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This recipe is from Damascus Syria ; it is one of many thousands of recipes in the Syrian kitchen . my Mama used to make this for us as an appetizer and yet I eat it as a main corse cuz it is sooo good . Syrians are fussy people when it comes to food ie if its not extra good and tasty it will be forgotten and scrappped from the menu . Tip 4 you : put 1 tbls of allspice when you boil any meat. This will make the scum of the meat cluster so it will be easier to skim and remember that when the water is starting to boil you dump it ....yes you dump it then you wash the meat and put new fresh water .Why is that ?? well let me tell you that your meat will taste better,stay fresher for longer time . and remember to look for the arabic food store near you to get your olive oil .....it taste different .
- 1 fresh lemon
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 green onions, finely chopped (seasonal)
- 1 stalk chives, finely chopped (seasonal)
- 5 tablespoons arabic olive oil, to taste
- salt, to taste
- allspice (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup fine chopped fresh green parsley
- 2 cups cube cut cold beef tongues, cooked
- Wash the beef tongue and brush it under cold running water.
- Trim all fat that is visible.
- Place the meat in cold water over high heat.
- when water is boiling, turn of the heat and take the pot off the stove and dump the hot water.
- remember that it is hot boiling so dump away from you and stay safe.
- turn on the cold water and wash the tongue.
- remove all clusters of scum that are in meat grooves.
- fill the pot with fresh cold water and on to stove it goes.
- Now you can add 1 tbls of salt into the water.
- your meat is on high heat.
- When the water starts to boil; turn the heat from high to medium.
- add 1 tbls of allspice to the boiling water.
- skim water periodicly to remove the scum of the meat.
- It may take up to 4 to 6 full hours for the tongue to get tender and done, so remember that you should never leave pot or any food cooking on stove to do shopping; it is unsafe practice to leave home and the stove or oven is on.
- take the tongue and slice the surface to skin it from the tastebuds layer.
- Cool the meat in the fridge.
- When the meat is cold you can cut the meat into cubes.
- Mix the Ingredients and enjoy served cold with peta.
I had already cooked a tongue (in crockpot, with onion, celery, carrots, peppercorns), so this review is just for the salad. I made the vinaigrette, did not have chives but had the rest. After mixing it together I popped the tongue salad into the microwave just to warm it up a bit - honestly, I think it tasted much better that way. It's a very nice salad, I just preferred it warm.