Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
A flavorful main-dish salad. In some places, cervelas sausage is called cervelat. The Swiss butcher at my local German deli tells me that what is called Knackwurst is actually Swiss Cervelat. Although the original recipe says not to cook or grill the sausage but rather use it "raw", I would make sure the sausage is pre-cooked or smoked and not actually raw. (Raw pork, eeww) Also, you can use only emmenthaler (swiss) cheese and gruyere if tilsiter is unavailable, just adjust amounts. I don't know why the food.com memory banks call it "knackwurst of frankfurter" but do NOT use hot dogs!!
- 1 bunch red radish, cut into slices
- 2 carrots, cut into slices
- 1⁄4 lb emmenthaler cheese, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄4 lb gruyere cheese, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄4 lb tilsiter cheese, cut into small pieces
- 3 knackwurst of frankfurters, cut into slices (Swiss pork sausage -see description)
- 1⁄2 cucumber, cut into small pieces
- 4 potatoes, boiled, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons vinegar
- 5 tablespoons oil
- 1 -2 egg, cooked hard
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chives, minced
- Put the vegetables and the cheese in a bowl and mix them well.
- Make the sauce with all the ingredients mentioned above, from pepper to oil and stir well.
- Pour the sauce over the salad and mix well.
- Peel the eggs and cut them into slices.
- Cut the tomatoes and use them together with the eggs for decoration.
- Sprinkle the chives over the salad.
Wow! This makes a lot of salad! I halved the recipe, and still had enough for 6 people! Other than halving the recipe, I made it exactly as posted. This was a very different type of salad for me. Very colorful! Thanks for sharing%u2026..made for ZWT7.
Swiss Cervelat is one great sausage! (also called Knackwurst) and in this salad, it's one of the stars! The sausage was smoked, which made a perfect accompaniment to this fresh salad. and the dressing is WOW! I used emmenthaler cheese, which is so perfect with this and gives it a mild background taste. I can see using this as a great potluck salad, served alongside some crabs, beef, or barbecued chicken! Thanks for posting! Made for ZWT7