Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Tender, beef in an Italian flavored sauce. We like this with mashed potatoes.
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless round steak, cut in serving size pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Put flour in lg plastic bag.
- Add steaks and shake to coat.
- Remove steaks from bag and pound to flatten.
- In lg skillet, brown steaks on both side in butter.
- Add tomatoes, salt, basil, oregano and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add onion and green pepper, simmer another 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese, cook until cheese is melted.
I started this recipe on the stove top, browned the beef and onions and then transferred it to a crock pot. After 6 hours dinner was ready, the whole house smelled like an Italian Restaurant. I served it on spiral pasta; this is a delicious, stick to your ribs stew and sooo convenient! I did sub mushrooms for the green peppers. Made and reviewed for the MizzNezz cookathon. Get well soon, MizzNezz!
I tried this and the recipe was excellent. My husband and 8 year loved the steak. It was so tender you did not have to use a knife to cut it. I used sirlion steak. I also added 1 cup of beef bullion to the pan for simmering. It added more flover and gave more gravy for the noodles. Probably the best Swiss Steak I ever had.