1/2 Photos of Sweetpea's Chili
1 hr 30 mins
This chili recipe took me two years to perfect. It's just a basic beef chili, but it's really good! Try substituting ground turkey--it works great too. Doubling or tripling this recipe is no problem. I always do so I can freeze some. It reheats amazingly well! Fair warning--this chili is pretty spicy! You can lower the spice by using milder peppers instead of the jalapenos. It's also easy to increase the heat--we add a another teaspoon of red pepper and a whole cascabel pepper (remove before serving) with the rest of the spices. Additional diced jalapenos or some habaneros also work great.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 3 green jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1/2 large green bell peppers or 1/2 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried chipotle powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon dried celery flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 3/4 cup beer
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (27 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (27 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can of petite diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 cups water
- black pepper
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- 1In skillet, brown and drain ground beef.
- 2In large pot, combine the beer, water, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and the beans.
- 3Add the peppers, garlic, and onion. Heat thoroughly.
- 4Add the beef and all of the spices.
- 5Cook for about an hour to allow the flavors to combine.
- 6Garnish with the cheese and sour cream if desired.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweetpea's Chili
Serving Size: 1 (546 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 621.3
- Calories from Fat 179
- Total Fat 19.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 77.2 mg
- Sodium 2095.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 23.2 g
- Sugars 12.1 g
- Protein 42.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried celery flakes