Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Very sweet tasting. Takes awhile to cook, but in the end it's very satisfying.
Make and share this Sweet Tasting Corned Beef and Cabbage recipe from Food.com.
- Fill your pot with water and then add in beef brisket making sure the the water fully submerges meat completely.
- If a small part of the meat is showing that is fine.
- But you ideally want to submerge the whole thing.
- You can use any amount of corn beef brisket.
- Next add in the spice package that came with your corn beef and only 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of vinegar.
- Let this boil about 2 and a half hours to 3 hours, checking back every so often to make sure the beef is still covered in water.
- Keep adding as much water as you need to keep the beef submerged.
- During the last hour, slice your cabbage up into fairly large/medium pieces and add in your cabbage before potatoes because you want your cabbage to be soft.
- Chop potatoes into cubes and add in those as well.
- Cook your potatoes and cabbage to your desired softness.
- Voila' you're done!
- Please be sure to use a very big, big pot. This may boil over because you are combining all these large ingredients. A regular big pot to make beef stew will be too small.
- Serving size depends on how much you will eat of it and how big your meat is. I go back for 3rds sometimes so it's hard to say. Enjoy!
This was a good recipe. I thought it was just faintly sweeter than normal, but my husband thought it was really sweet. It wasn't overpowering in any way. I think cooking corned beef on the stove top is the best way. Thank you so much for posting this. My husband said it's a keeper. The only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is because I was expecting it to be sweeter than what it was(I like sugar).