Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
This delicious side dish goes well with German dishes, pork cutlets or a roast. Prep & cook times are approximate.
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 4 cups frozen cut green beans
- 4 bacon, strips diced
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and diced
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place carrots in a large saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cook, uncovered, for 4 minutes.
- Stir in beans.
- Return to a boil.
- Cook mixture 5-6 minutes longer or until the beans and carrots are tender.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Saute onions in drippings until tender.
- Add the apples, vinegar, sugar and salt; mix well.
- Cover and cook until apples are tender, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in bean mixture; heat through.
- Sprinkle with bacon.
We enjoyed this colorful side along with mustard chicken. I used ready cooked bacon (which did not yield hardly any grease) which made it a bit dry, but the apples added some moisture and great flavor. Thanks Keen, for posting! Roxygirl
This recipe was absolutely delicious! All the flavors blend together very nicely, and it goes very well with a roast. The only change we made was to cut the amount of bacon to two slices, and that worked out fine for us.