Recipe by keen5
This delicious side dish goes well with German dishes, pork cutlets or a roast. Prep & cook times are approximate.
Top Review by Roxygirl in Colorado
We enjoyed this colorful side along with mustard chicken. I used ready cooked bacon (which did not yield hardly any grease) which made it a bit dry, but the apples added some moisture and great flavor. Thanks Keen, for posting! Roxygirl
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 4 cups frozen cut green beans
- 4 bacon, strips diced
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and diced
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Place carrots in a large saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cook, uncovered, for 4 minutes.
- Stir in beans.
- Return to a boil.
- Cook mixture 5-6 minutes longer or until the beans and carrots are tender.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Saute onions in drippings until tender.
- Add the apples, vinegar, sugar and salt; mix well.
- Cover and cook until apples are tender, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in bean mixture; heat through.
- Sprinkle with bacon.