Here's a salad that showcases the Asian yin and yang philosophy of combining opposing flavors. Mild, crisp iceberg lettuce allows the exotic hot-sweet-sour-salty flavors of the warm dressing to shine. From EatingWell magazine September/October 1991, and "EatingWell Serves Two" -- Dietary Exchanges: 1 fruit, 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat. -- Diabetic Exchanges: 2 Carbohydrate Serving -- NOTE: Fish sauce is a pungent Southeast Asian sauce made from salted, fermented fish. It can be found in the Asian section of large supermarkets and in Asian specialty markets.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce (see Note) or 1 1/2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 8 ounces sirloin steaks, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 jalapenos or 1 serrano pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 orange, peel and white pith removed, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped dry roasted peanuts
- 1Stir fish sauce (or soy sauce) and brown sugar in a small bowl. Divide lettuce between 2 plates.
- 2Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add beef and cook, stirring until browned on the outside and still pink inside, 1 to 2 minutes. Spoon over the lettuce.
- 3Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, jalapeño (or serrano), onion and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- 4Add the fish sauce (or soy sauce) mixture, remove from the heat and stir in orange and cilantro.
- 5Spoon the sauce over the salad and sprinkle with peanuts.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet & Salty Beef Salad
Serving Size: 1 (415 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 687.7
- Calories from Fat 403
- Total Fat 44.8 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 111.0 mg
- Sodium 1371.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 21.8 g
- Protein 41.6 g