Prep 30 mins
Cook 42 mins
Think pumpkin pie, but with pureed beans and oatmeal instead of pumpkin! The texture of the filling is similar to a pecan pie with ground pecans, but the taste is just like any Fall-flavoured custard. Adapted from Bean by Bean by Crescent Dragonwagon.
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts, unbaked (such as Potato Pastry Dough)
- 2 cups cooked adzuki beans
- 3 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- 1⁄3 cup rolled oats (not instant)
- chopped pecans, for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425F and place the pie crust on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Puree the beans, butter, sugar, vanilla, milk and eggs in a food processor until smooth.
- Add the allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, tapioca starch and rolled oats and process until smooth and the oats are finely minced. Mixture will be fluid.
- Pour into the pie shell.
- Sprinkle with pecans, if using.
- Place the pie in the oven and bake on the middle rack for 12 minutes.
- Reduce the temperature to 350F and move the pie to the lowest rack of the oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes, covering the pie with foil after 20 minutes if it's browning too much.
- When done, the filling will be completely set.
- Cool completely to room temperature, then chill overnight before serving.