Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 6 mins
My husband found this in one of our neighborhood papers and asked me if we could try it. All I can say is this was yummy, and has moved into the true conferred food corner of my hart.
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 473.18 ml onions, diced
- 236.59 ml celery, diced
- 236.59 ml carrot, diced
- 709.77 ml sweet potatoes, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4.92 ml pepper
- 4.92 ml oregano
- 4.92 ml thyme
- 4.92 ml paprika
- 453.59 g yellow split peas
- 1182.95 ml vegetable stock
- 1182.95 ml water
- 14.79 ml vegetable bouillon
- 3 bay leaves
- In large pot over low heat, add oil, onion, celery, carrot, sweet potatoes, garlic, pepper, oregano, thyme, and paprika, stirring to combine. Cook 5-10 minutes till onions, and celery start to soften.
- Add split peas, stock, water, bouillon, bay leaves, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 60 minutes.
- At this point you can serve it as is for chunky soup or puree it in batches for a creamer soup.
Great healthy soup and easy too! I stuck with the recipe, making just a few minor changes. I don't like celery so I left it out. I used 1 onion, which was probably a little less than 2 cups, Hungarian Paprika, 1/2 yellow & 1/2 green split peas and chick stock made from a paste (I'm currently out of homemade stock). I like the creamy texture so I pureed it all in the food processor and had a taste before putting it away. I'm excited to be taking some to work for lunch tomorrow.
We eat lots of lentil and veg soups, so I don't give out 5 stars loosly! We loved this for the fact I had everything in it on hand, it was simple and it had excellent flavour and a little bite with the herbs ad spices in there. It made a lovely lunch for us and I've 8 generous serves sitting ready to go in the freezer. I took Sydney Mike's advice and crushed this with my potato masher for a lovely texture and I added a couple of tablespoons of red wine vinegar and some chopped parsley at the end. The vinegar is an amazing adition to lentil soups and I recommend it to you to try sometime.
Wow, this soup is really, really yummy! It has a slightly sweet flavour from the sweet potato and carrot and yet a hearty touch from the spices. I particularly enjoyed the addition of thyme and laurel to it. I opted for the non pureed version and it was delicious and also very pretty! I only cooked my soup for 20 minutes as my lentils and veggies were perfectly done by then. THANKS SO MUCH for sharing this wonderful recipe with us, Debbs! I cant wait to make it again! Made and reviewed for Veggie Swap #19