Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
A DF brought this Brown Derby recipe to me & I am posting so as not to lose. Her eyes literally roll up in her head when she talks about it so it'll be on the menu when everyone comes down for Thanksgiving week. Thanks Marion! Plan to serve with rolls made from Potato Bread (Kartoflany Chleb) and European Black Bread (Bread Machine).
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, cooked & chopped (reserve the bacon grease)
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 quart chicken stock (canned broth OK)
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, medium sized, peeled & diced
- 1 cup sweet corn
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chives, cut matchstick lengths
- Prepare the roux the oil & flour - saute over low heat until dark peanut butter colored. Set aside.
- Cook the bacon crisp in a 3 to 5 quart sauce pan. Chop & measure. Set aside. Reserve bacon grease.
- Add the onion & celery to the sauce pan used to cook the bacon & saute until translucent.
- Add the chicken stock, diced sweet potatoes & corn. Bring to a boil then lower to simmer until sweet potatoes are just soft.
- Add the bacon & 1 tablespoon of the roux. Simmer 15 minutes, stirring & add additional roux until the chowder/soup reaches the consistency you desire.
- Add heavy cream, adjust seasoning with salt & pepper. Do not boil or cream may separate. Plate & garnish with chives.