1 hr 5 mins
Buster's friend's Note:
A DF brought this Brown Derby recipe to me & I am posting so as not to lose. Her eyes literally roll up in her head when she talks about it so it'll be on the menu when everyone comes down for Thanksgiving week. Thanks Marion! Plan to serve with rolls made from Potato Bread (Kartoflany Chleb) and European Black Bread (Bread Machine).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 lb bacon, cooked & chopped (reserve the bacon grease)
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 quart chicken stock (canned broth OK)
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, medium sized, peeled & diced
- 1 cup sweet corn
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chives, cut matchstick lengths
- 1Prepare the roux the oil & flour - saute over low heat until dark peanut butter colored. Set aside.
- 2Cook the bacon crisp in a 3 to 5 quart sauce pan. Chop & measure. Set aside. Reserve bacon grease.
- 3Add the onion & celery to the sauce pan used to cook the bacon & saute until translucent.
- 4Add the chicken stock, diced sweet potatoes & corn. Bring to a boil then lower to simmer until sweet potatoes are just soft.
- 5Add the bacon & 1 tablespoon of the roux. Simmer 15 minutes, stirring & add additional roux until the chowder/soup reaches the consistency you desire.
- 6Add heavy cream, adjust seasoning with salt & pepper. Do not boil or cream may separate. Plate & garnish with chives.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Potato & Corn Chowder Soup With Bacon
Serving Size: 1 (340 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 404.6
- Calories from Fat 270
- Total Fat 30.0 g
- Saturated Fat 13.1 g
- Cholesterol 72.0 mg
- Sodium 443.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 9.2 g